[ntp:questions] ntp client and local clock

wa6zvp wa6zvp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 17:20:35 UTC 2007

On Apr 9, 9:32 am, csgo... at yahoo.com (Christine Ross) wrote:
> I am setting up a solaris 8 server as an ntp client.  I have seen some configurations that specify to use a fudge statements, but are those for servers only?  What happens if a client loses contact with the servers?
>
>   Thank you

 Yes, the fudge factors are used on servers with locally connected
clocks to make up for known offsets.

 Assuming that it had been in touch with a server for a while, it will
have established a known drift and continue to use that.

 So the answer is, it depends on the stability of the local clock, but
will likely drift off.  How far and how fast depends on the
environmental factors and others.

Roger