[ntp:questions] solaris rtp program and ntp

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 06:57:42 UTC 2007

In article <1176140548.617626.14020 at b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
wa6zvp at gmail.com wrote:

>  I don't know anything about Solaris, but my google reading indicates
> that this is a program that only messes with TZ to handle DST, and
> does not do anything to the actual local internal clock.

That interpretation doesn't make much sense as TZ is an environment
variable, so manipulations of it are only available to sub-processes, but
there is no program name to be run by rtc in the above.

I wonder if what you read was really talking about the issues involved with
PC's having their real time clocks in local time, for Windows compatibility.

Especially given the time at which it runs, it could actually be setting the
rtc from the software clock, and therefore harmless, but one really needs to
read the man pages for the particular system.

(Note that SunOS had a kernel feature that updated the software clock from the
RTC and needed to be explicitly disabled for ntpd to work.  I vaguely remember
needing to use tickadj -s.)