[ntp:questions] Will ntpd tell me if it encounters problems?

gluino gluino at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 04:02:43 UTC 2007

Thanks all for the help.

On Apr 12, 6:52 am, "Richard B. gilbert" <rgilber... at comcast.net>
wrote:
> It's generally possible to find servers with delays less than twenty
> milliseconds.  It should almost always be possible to find servers with
> delays less than 50 milliseconds.

Maybe it's because I'm in South East Asia, I'll try to look around
some more.
Anyway, I'm happy with keeping my machines within say 1/4 seconds of
UTC, considering that for many years the the company network
(including scores of POS and DVR PCs) has been chugging along fine
with just manual time adjustments.

So... Maarten suggests using a simple script to check on ntpq -p, I'm
not sure what to check for, will the asterisk always disappear after a
problem?
If so, I would just check for presence of the string:
"*203.117.180.36" (it's my government's public time server)