[ntp:questions] Will ntpd tell me if it encounters problems?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Apr 12 06:41:32 UTC 2007

>> If so, I would just check for presence of the string:
>> "*203.117.180.36" (it's my government's public time server)
>
>But you lose a lot of the benefit of your fallback servers.

I think that ntpd will still use the fallback servers.  What he
will get is false alarms when that server goes off the air or the
network goes crazy.  That may be OK if the machine is pretty solid.
If it's solid, then most of the alarms are network troubles.  You
might want to investigate them anyway.  Besides, a human can probably
see if things are OK with a quick scan of the ntpq output, and that
can be included in the alert email.