[ntp:questions] Will ntpd tell me if it encounters problems?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Apr 12 07:26:23 UTC 2007

"gluino" <gluino at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1176350563.617445.166520 at l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
[...]
> So... Maarten suggests using a simple script to check on ntpq -p, I'm
> not sure what to check for, will the asterisk always disappear after a
> problem?
> If so, I would just check for presence of the string:
> "*203.117.180.36" (it's my government's public time server)

I wouldn't check on the asterisk being before any specific server.

If you're looking for basic sanity tests, check for the presence of the
asterisk in _any_ row. Then check the server it's in front of. If it's
the local clock, something is wrong with all the other servers (chances
are it's your Internet connection). If it's an external reference, it
should have 'reasonable' values for stratum, reach, delay, offset, jitter.

Once you've confirmed basic synchronisation, you _might_ check for
associations that are currently rejected. But that's decidedly
optional.

All this is more or less heuristic.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink