[ntp:questions] PPS kit for 2.6 linux kernels?

Thu Apr 12 11:03:21 UTC 2007

Jon Kåre Hellan <dev at null.com> writes:

[...]
> Have you looked at the new PPS patch which was posted by Rodolfo
> Giometti to LKML recently? He is proposing it for inclusion in the kernel.

Last time when I looked at it, it had no support for kernel PPS
("hardpps()"). That's what I also had a long time before. I haven't checked
recently.

However I'm afraid of this: The incomplete code will be accepted for the
kernel, while the implementation makes it hard or impossible to implement
kernel PPS processing. Thus the project will never be completed.

(Linux 1.0 had a hardpps callback that never got implemented, because it was
completely useless the way it was there: If the kernel has neither a provider,
nor a consumer for PPS, why provide a callback that is neither used to
initialized?)

I'd prefer any complete implementation over an incomplete implementation using
some fancy new technology.

Regards,
Ulrich