[ntp:questions] Losing clock ticks (Was: Severe time drift for Undisciplined Local Clock)

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 17:33:02 UTC 2007

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> David,
>
> David Woolley wrote:
> [...]
>
>>(Linux is OK for a dedicated server, although it can lose clock
>>ticks if it is doing other things that require disk I/O.)
>

> I don't know why this is posted continuously here.

<snip>

When someone complains that the clock on his Linux system is chronically
slow and/or that ntpd cannot synchronize it very well, what do you tell
him?  It's a known problem with some versions of both Linux and Windows.
  It may not be the problem in any particular case but the possibility
must be considered in each case.