[ntp:questions] PPS kit for 2.6 linux kernels?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Apr 12 23:47:15 UTC 2007

>Last time when I looked at it, it had no support for kernel PPS
>("hardpps()"). That's what I also had a long time before. I haven't checked
>recently.

I've never understood this area.  Why do I want a hardpps in the kernel?

What I want in the kernel is support to capture the information
accurately.  That means something like reading the time when the
PPS signal into the serial driver generates an interrupt.

I don't see any rush to process that data.  The ATOM/PPS driver,
for example, processes a batch of 64 samples at a time.  So as long
as the driver can read the data out of the kernel before it gets
overwritten, that's good enough.

Maybe in the old days ntpd couldn't get enough CPU cycles on busy
machines.  Is that a serious problem today?