[ntp:questions] Losing clock ticks (Was: Severe time drift for Undisciplined Local Clock)

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Apr 13 10:18:03 UTC 2007

Harlan,

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> Martin> Maybe the fact that problems are more often reported under Linux
> is Martin> just due to the fact (I guess) there are much more
> installations of Martin> Linux rather than FreeBSD.
>
> I have my doubts about this.  I have been running ntpd on
> FreeBSD2-FreeBSD6 on probably dozens of machines for many years at many
> sites, and on other OSes as well.
>
> But I'm open to being shown otherwise.

I just mean Linux is much more popular than FreeBSD to non-programmers and
non-IT folks. I'm pretty sure due to the popular distributions there are
much more PCs running Linux than FreeBSD today.

Most of these run the kernel which came with the distribution, and also the
version of ntpd which came with the distribution.

Unlike with FreeBSD (AFAIK) there are a large number of Linux distributions
with a large number of versions each, and thus a large number of different
kernel versions are running out there, so the probability that the ownwer
of a system which encounters those problems is higher for Linux than for
FreeBSD.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki