[ntp:questions] Will ntpd tell me if it encounters problems?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 15 08:13:59 UTC 2007

In article <46216403.10504 at ntp.isc.org>, mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
David Woolley wrote:

> > ntpd also has a trap reporting mechanism, but I don't know of any

> I don't know anything about this. Care to expand on this?

ntp-4.2.0/html/ntpdc.html
   traps
          Display the traps set in the server. See the source listing for
          further information.

   addtrap [ address [ port ] [ interface ]
          Set  a  trap  for asynchronous messages. See the source listing
          for further information.

   clrtrap [ address [ port ] [ interface]
          Clear  a trap for asynchronous messages. See the source listing
          for further information.

ntp-4.2.0/html/accopt.html
        lowpriotrap
                Declare  traps  set by matching hosts to be low priority.
                The number of traps a server can maintain is limited (the
                current  limit  is  3).  Traps  are usually assigned on a
                first   come,   first   served  basis,  with  later  trap
                requestors  being  denied service. This flag modifies the
                assignment algorithm by allowing low priority traps to be
                overridden by later requests for normal priority traps.

        notrap
                Decline to provide mode 6 control message trap service to
                matching  hosts.  The  trap service is a subsystem of the
                ntpdq  control message protocol which is intended for use
                by remote event logging programs.

That's about the limit of my knowledge.