[ntp:questions] Local clock question with dialup connection

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun Apr 15 15:00:57 UTC 2007

Ntp is working just fine since I enabled it on my Linux machines some time
back, but as I'm on dialup, I lose the connection from time to time, and when
I'm not DL'ing updates overnight, I usually shutdown the 2 machines on the
LAN.

The 2 machines are connected to the Internet through a Smoothwall firewall,
and a serial modem. One machine, with whichever distro is running on it, has
ntp.conf setup to access 3 stratum 2 Internet time servers, and the other
machine has ntp.conf setup to get it's time from the first machine which is
accessing the Internet timeservers.

The problem I have is that when, for example, I lose the Internet connection
during the night doing updates, then reconnect the next morning, I find that
ntpd is still running, but has timed out on trying to contact the Internet
timeservers.  If I stop, then restart ntpd, the timeservers are contacted ok,
and the time is kept in sync with the servers.

Normally I comment out everything on the default setup for ntp.conf, except
for the servers I am using, and the driftfile, but today I installed FC6 on
the machine I use for getting time from the Internet. As usual I commented
out all the default stuff, but left the 2 lines for the undisciplined local
clock uncommented.

Ntpq> pe initially showed the local clock as sys.peer, but as soon as the
Internet servers had obtained a sufficient reach count, the sys.peer switched
from the local clock to one of the 3 Internet timeservers.

My question, as a dialup user is. If I Ieave the 2 undisciplined local clock
lines uncommented in ntp.conf, will this resolve the problem I seem to have
when I lose the Internet connection, and ntpd goes into timeout mode when it
can't find Internet timeservers when the connection is lost? If so, it will
have resolved the only problem I seem to be having with ntp.

Sorry for the trivial question.

Nigel.