[ntp:questions] Linux client ntp

Riccardo Castellani castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it
Sun Apr 15 18:59:13 UTC 2007

Dear Harlan,
I read document at URL http://ntp.isc.org/Support/AccessRestrictions and I'm
confused in " 6.5.1.2.1. If you used =restrict default ignore= " section.
If I used "restrict default ignore", document says to add "restrict
127.0.0.1" to allow unrestricted access from the localhost. OK;
then it says to repeat the following two lines for each remote time server:
IPv4: server x.y.z.w
IPv4: restrict x.y.z.w [nomodify notrap nopeer noquery]

Note: "There is no harm in adding the restrictions shown in brackets but
keep in mind that if you are accepting time from someone it may be
considered courteous to allow them to see a bit of information about their
client.

I don't understand because there also is "nomodify" option inside brackets.
If added "nomodify" option(as I told you in previous message) I think it
would not be permitted to ntpd to use time information (sent from specified
"x.y.z.w" server) to set local clock. If I want to receive time from
external servers I presume that ntpd can be modified from those servers.
Do you agree ?
That's no specified.

Thanks you so much