[ntp:questions] PPS kit for 2.6 linux kernels?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Mon Apr 16 09:34:51 UTC 2007

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org> wrote in message
news:4622884C.3000808 at ntp.isc.org...
> Maarten Wiltink wrote:

>> I still have a working (when I left it) 386SX-16 with 5 MB RAM. Is
>> there an NTP port for Windows for Workgroups 3.11?
>
> I very much doubt it. Even Windows 95 can't run the later version of
> NTP because it uses I/O Completion Ports. You might find an old NTP
> client but noone writes code for something that old these days and
> it's not clear what kind of IP stack would work with it.

That question was very much tongue-in-cheek but nevertheless I much
appreciate the straightfaced reaction.

You might be surprised by WfW311's TCP/IP stack - as far as I'm aware,
it was more or less lifted in one piece from BSD, to the point that it
supported IP forwarding. For Windows 95, either a new IP stack was
implemented or the existing one reworked to make a point of being
desktop, not server, software, and IP forwarding was dropped.

Not that this has anything to do with I/O Completion Ports, most likely.
I assume they're some kind of asynchronous callback mechanism?

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink