[ntp:questions] Will ntpd tell me if it encounters problems?

gluino gluino at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:15:55 UTC 2007

On Apr 13, 8:00 pm, Heiko Gerstung
<heiko.removethistext.gerst... at meinberg.de> wrote:
> Well, you _should_ use an NTP synchronized machine if you monitor NTP
> servers, no? :-)

Thanks, Heiko.
I was intending to monitor a company server's ntpd using the monitor
installed on my desktop... my desktop was running Dimension4 for
syncing, for many years.
So anyways, I've uninstalled D4, and started using meinberg's NTP
windows binaries instead.

> If you do not run NTP on the machine where you run our time server
> monitor, you will not be able to use most of the features, because they
> are referring to the local instance of NTP.
>
> Any more questions? Use the forum atwww.time-server-monitor.comor
> contact us at supp... at meinberg.de ...

I have some general ntp-newbie questions, that I guess I should ask
here:
In what unit is the "when" column of ntpq -p?
Using meinberg's windows binaries, how can I tell whether my clock is
being smoothly slewed as opposed to being stepped? (Does "time reset
-0.140676s" in the log mean it changed in a single step? why didn't it
slew?)
>From what I understand, NTP continually estimates the rate error of my
motherboard clock, writing to the driftfile, so that the correction
can be continuously applied. Does this mean the red PPM line of
monitor's stats graph converges to zero? (after-correction ppm) or
does it converge to the ppm error of my hardware clock?
What happens if the computer is powered-off for a few days, and then
turned on after a few days?
I'm guessing the drift correction does not work when the computer is
off?

Thanks!