[ntp:questions] Linux client ntp

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 21:53:39 UTC 2007

In article <slrnf271v0.1ga.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net>,
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> wrote:

> The nominated servers don't actually 'set the time'. ntpd polls those

I was using the term loosely, in the way that the questioner seemed to
be thinking.

> servers and chooses one as the best time source.

If we are being precise, although it identifies one server, it actually
uses all the good servers to get the instantaneous estimate of the time.
It weights them by reciprocal synchronisation distance, in V4.2.0
(ntpd/ntp_proto.c: clock_combine).  Then, of course, it low pass filters
the result.