[ntp:questions] NTP is working fine but time difference doesn't decrease.

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Wed Apr 18 10:40:33 UTC 2007

>>> In article <1176885032.540309.233710 at b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, kaleem177 at gmail.com writes:

kaleem> Hello, We have a machine which is running NTP version 4 and it's in
kaleem> sync with its time server (a '*' appears in the output of ntpq -p;
kaleem> as we know the server marked * is the one which is chosen for
kaleem> synchronization).  Now the problem is that even if the machine is
kaleem> synchronizing with its time server all the time, the time difference
kaleem> between the two doesn't decrease. The difference is around 2 min and
kaleem> it's been like this for one month or so. I expect the machines to be
kaleem> within a few seconds of each other.

What versions of ntpd are you running on these machines?

What do your ntp.conf files look like?