[ntp:questions] Local clock question with dialup connection

Frank Kardel kardel at ntp.org
Wed Apr 18 11:30:43 UTC 2007

hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal Murray) writes:

>>It should no longer be necessary to do this. NTP 4.2.4 support dynamic
>>IP addresses of the host and it will find and rebind the receiving
>>addresses automatically.
>
> I see the following when ntpd gets started before eth0 has made contact
> with dhcp.  ntp.conf has a single server 192.168.1.3 that's on the
> LAN connected to eth0.
>
>   ntpd[1444]: Cannot find existing interface for address 192.168.1.3
>   ntpd[1444]: configuration of 192.168.1.3 failed
>
> I've been assuming that "failed" was permanent and restarting ntpd.
> Should it recover by itself if I wait a while?

The fail is final - thus you don't see any configured peers/servers.
The reason is that ntpd cannot determine the interface it needs to
send to that adress. that is usually caused by the network not
being fully functional at the time when ntpd starts.

You can:
  - delay ntpd start until the network is fully configured
  - add the keyword dynamic at the end of the configuration
    line for peer/server 192.1.3. (ntpd 4.2.4 required)

> I just tried it.  After a while, dhcp makes contact, then I see:
>   ntpd[1444]: Listening on interface #2 eth0, 192.168.1.102#123 Enabled
> but ntpq still says:
>   No association ID's returned
>
> --

Frank