[ntp:questions] How to measure the synchronization quality?

YC_Chien at mtk.com.tw YC_Chien at mtk.com.tw
Tue Apr 24 10:15:19 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I've installed the ntp software on two computers running Windows XP.
And I want to know how accurate the two computers are synchronized.

The way came to my mind is to connect each computer to a GPS receiver via
RS232 respectively.
Then see if the system time correspondes to the GPS time.
Or at least they should have the same bias.
However, the fact is neither the computers have the same time with GPS,
nor they have the same bias.
The difference between system time and GPS time is even not constant.

So, I wonder how the ntp working group estimates the synchronization
accuracy.
I can't find any description in ntp4 documents.
Does anyone know about that?
Or anyone can quide me another method to measure the synchronization
quality between two computers?

Thanks.

************* Email Confidentiality Notice ********************
The information contained in this e-mail message (including any attachments) may be confidential, proprietary, privileged, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. It is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s).  Any use, dissemination, distribution, printing, retaining or copying of this e-mail (including its attachments) by unintended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, or believe that you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately (by replying to this e-mail), delete any and all copies of this e-mail (including any attachments) from your system, and do not disclose the content of this e-mail to any other person.   Thank you!