[ntp:questions] ACTS: client does not accept acts synchronized server

mills at udel.edu mills at udel.edu
Wed Apr 25 15:50:50 UTC 2007

Heiko,

While this has nothing to do with the second server you cite, the 51-ms
discrepancy between the PTB and GPS time is rather large. Either the
telephone or modem delay is unexpectedly large or the timecode timestamp
is at the wrong on-time character.

Also, I see the PTB polling interval is 1024 s, which leads me to
suspect you have not specified minpoll 12 maxpoll 17. Assuming you pay
for telephone calls, the poll interval should quickly climb over 1024 s
and ramp up to 36 h eventually.

Also, it is advised that when starting for the first time, remove the
frequency file. This causes ntpd to initially estimate the frequency
directly, then switch to tracking mode. This dramatically reduces the
time to converge the frequency estimate and increase the poll interval.

As I have no way to test the driver with European formats, I welcome
advice on how to determine the on-time character or event.

Dave