[ntp:questions] ACTS: client does not accept acts synchronized server

mills at udel.edu mills at udel.edu
Wed Apr 25 17:19:41 UTC 2007

Uwe,

I checked NPL telephone and found it uses the * and # as per PTB. The
exisitng driver code captures a timestamp at the beginning of the
timecode message and at the * and # characters at the end. According to
the NPL, the * or # is transmitted as the last character of the message,
which is within one character (CR) of the first bit of the LF on-time
event. However, the reported PTB timestamp is in error much more than that.

Question about the baud rate. NPL does not specify the baud rate; PTB
specifies 1200 bps. At 1200 bps a 10-bit characgter takes 8.33 ms, so
the 78-character message takes 650 ms. If the * or # was not found, the
error would be near 650 ms; however, if it was found the error should
depend only on the ISDN delay, which in your case is about the same
here. In other words, the 51-ms error is probably due to the ISDN delay
and the \\ scheme would compensate for that.

Dave