[ntp:questions] ACTS: client does not accept acts synchronized server

mills at udel.edu mills at udel.edu
Wed Apr 25 17:31:51 UTC 2007

Heiko,

In trying to track down the 51-ms discrepancy, I stunbled on
http://www.heret.de/radioclock/ptb.htm#K5. Apparently, PTB does
something similar to NIST. It can measure and correct for the
propagation delay. However, while the NIST correction is automatic, the
PTB correction must be enabled by a special sequence, as quoted below.

quote

The communication parameters are: CCITT-V.22 modem, 1200 baud, 8 ASCII
data bits, one stop bit, no parity. The change from CR (carriage return)
to LF (line feed) indicates the beginning of each transmitted second.
The information transmitted before this time marker (leading edge of the
start bit of the LF) refers to the next
following second.

In order to correct for the propagation delay time, the code
transmission is stopped by the command "//" (two slashes), the incoming
CR-LF time markers are echoed back, and the time code generator is set
by the command "GDM" (do generator delay time measurements) into the GDM
mode. In this mode, the time code generator measures 8 round-loop
delays, calculates the mean value and the standard deviation and
advances the time marker for half the mean value determined. If the GDM
has been successful, the visible time marker will change from "*" to "#".

The result of the delay time determination is reported in the time
  protocols

\quote

It is not clear that services other than PTB have this feature. The code
now echoes all timecode characters by default. It would be easy to
transmit the // characters on initial startup. To do so, after line 408
in the driver code refclock_acts.c add the line

	write(pp->io.fd, "\\", 2);

Dave