[ntp:questions] ntpd -qg VS ntpd in Linux client ?

Riccardo Castellani castellani.riccardo at tiscali.it
Sat Apr 28 19:57:47 UTC 2007

I'm interesting to align time in my four DB servers (HP-UX o.s.) of my company.
But I'm not just sure to use ntpd -qg or ntpd as service.
my doubts:

-----
if I use "ntpd -qg":
1 - if server time is backward real time, does "ntpd -qg" slew time immediately ?
2 - if server time is forward real time (< 128 ms), does "ntpd -qg" slew time immediately ?
3  - if server time is forward real time (> 128 ms), does "ntpd -qg" sleps time ? but Does it complete its job before exit ( also if it occurs several days ) For example if offset  = 120s, "ntpd -qg" exits after local time is ok that is after several days ?
-----

4- If I have offset = 120s what's difference in using "ntpd" and "ntpd -qg".
5- what traffic bandwith does ntpd use ?

For my opinion "ntpd -qg" is better for client, while ntpd as service it should be run in time server machines.

What do you suggest me ?