[ntp:questions] Poll interval vs. reachability register

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 10:46:35 UTC 2007

In article <9Jydner9uKY5tqnbnZ2dnUVZ_tCtnZ2d at comcast.com>,
Dennis Hilberg Jr <dont at spam.me> wrote:

> So, no one knows if ntpd increases the polling interval of a server if that
> particular server has a reachability of zero?

>From what I can work out, from the version 3 documentation, the poll
interval is forced to minpoll if there is a total loss of connectivity and
ramps down to that if the last two polls have failed.  It only goes up if
the server isn't the current system peer and the responses are valid (or
it it is the system peer and the quality measures indicate an increase).

If you have a firewall blocking returns, I think you could exceed the
sustained poll rate needed to be considered abusive.