[ntp:questions] Max number of lines that ntpdc -c monlist could display

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sun Apr 29 18:47:30 UTC 2007

>>> In article <1177871177.517066.154990 at l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Eugen COCA <ecoca at eed.usv.ro> writes:

Eugen> What is the maximum number of lines that ntpdc -c monlist
Eugen> command could display ?

I *think* the answer is somewhere between 400 and 600.  It has to do with
the number of responses that will fit into a UDP packet.

Eugen> Are there any ways to "correct" this limmitation only by modifying
Eugen> the ntpdc source code or the problem is from the ntpd itself ?

I *recall* that ntpd will not remember more than the last 600 (or so)
requests.

The previous ntpdc maintainer has gone and I would be happy to find somebody
to take over maintenance of ntpdc.

There has been some discussion that perhaps we could use TCP/123 for some of
these tasks, as we would not be limited by the UDP packet size then.