[ntp:questions] Max number of lines that ntpdc -c monlist could display

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Mon Apr 30 13:20:46 UTC 2007

mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> Eugen COCA wrote:
> > What is the maximum number of lines that
> >
> > ntpdc -c monlist
> >
> > command could display ?
>
> #define	MAXMONMEM	600	/* we allocate up to 600 structures */

I have that set to 1920 in ntp-4.2.2, which I calculate is the maximum
number of IPv4 addresses that can be returned to ntpdc without changing
the protocol (max 128 UDP packets).  Note that I need to use an earlier
version of ntpdc, which is not IPv6 aware, to get the full list.  I also
had to increase ntpdc's receive socket buffer size to cope
(rbufsize = INITDATASIZE * 9), but that might be an OS issue.

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>