[ntp:questions] New Windows NTP Installer available

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 08:52:32 UTC 2007

Heiko Gerstung wrote:
[]
> The installer now simply checks for the existence of a service called
> Dnscache and if it finds it (and it is marked for "automatic start"),
> it will be used as a dependency. If not, the installer falls back to
> Tcpip.
> Thanks a lot for your input, Ulrich and Maarten.
>
> Best Regards,
> Heiko

Heiko,

This sounds like a good improvement, but I'm not quite clear whether it
will help my "portable with wireless" problem.  Perhaps it will.  However,
simply having the DNS Client running does not mean that the wireless
network is connected, and the DNS Client is actually resolving DNS
addresses.

I can't recall now if there's anything in the NTP code itself which will
repeated try to resolve IP addresses if they don't work first time.
Something like once a minute would probably be frequent enough at
start-up, and perhaps once an hour in the event of the connection to one
server being lost.

Cheers,
David