[ntp:questions] SVeeSix via USB on Linux?

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Tue Aug 7 08:01:53 UTC 2007

>I believe NMEA is pretty much useless without a PPS signal.

NMEA works without a PPS.  It just doesn't work as well as
people would like.  I'd expect offsets in the tens of milliseconds
range rather than microseconds.  I don't have any data to back that
up but I can get it if it will help.

The OP said he was doing RS232 over USB.  That adds jitter.
Even if you have PPS, don't expect it to be wonderful.

It's worth pointing out that the NMEA driver automagically
uses the PPS signal if the kernal and hardware support it.