[ntp:questions] refclock_gpsvme.c from True Time GPS-VME to Brandywine PCI-SyncClock32

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Wed Aug 15 05:04:42 UTC 2007

>Why not assigning a new driver number for PCI-SyncClock32 and add a
>refclock_psc.c?

It's a minor pain to maintain a driver.  If it's reasonable, it's
much simpler ovarall to make a single driver support several
versions of hardware.

My guess is that the hardware out on the board is pretty much the
same between VME and PCI.  If so, the ntp driver may not even
know which type of board it is talking to.  The OS driver just
has to present the same APIs.