[ntp:questions] NTP architecture recommendation

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Aug 17 07:16:50 UTC 2007

>Thanks for the clarification, and the hint with a CDMA-based solution.
>Of course, ideally, I would try to have a stratum 1 clock available on
>the LAN, avoiding the network to mess up my highly accurate time from
>the reference clock. Actually this might be the only solution, as cell
>phones might not have coverage in our datacenters (for sure not in our
>server room in the HQ, which happens to be nuke-safe - we took it
>over, wasn't OUR requirement ;-)), and I can't influence the quality
>of the long-distance network links between sites.

Consider trying to find a place in your data center building where
you can get CDMA or GPS reception.  Time servers don't need much
in the way of "server" hardware.  For example, it doesn't need
much in the way of air conditioning.  You might be able to put it
upstiairs in an office or phone closet.  All you need is cat5
over to the real LAN.