[ntp:questions] NTP architecture recommendation

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Fri Aug 17 07:15:28 UTC 2007

In article <1187269548.458817.315110 at 22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,
cray74 <dietmar.baur at gmail.com> wrote:

> the offset between ALL servers needs to be < 3 ms; can't put GPS-

What percentage of the time do you need to meet this requirement?

> clocks in the datacenters (no GPS-signal); using free public NTP

Use remote antennas for the GPS receivers; I don't think that you
will achieve even 95 percentile 3ms spreads without it.

Note that you will not be able to use Windows for any of your
synchronised servers because time reading resolution for normal
Windows applications is more like 16ms.  (ntpd on Windows may do
better, but the applications will not get full benefit.)