[ntp:questions] NTP architecture recommendation

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 19 01:30:56 UTC 2007

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Depending on your budget you might want some sort of atomic clock in there
> for the times when you are not getting a signal.  You might also want to
> look at a modem driver as a 2nd source.
>
> To my knowledge Meinberg has never been bitten by a software bug where their
> clocks would report incorrect time.
>
> Regardless, I tend to suggest to folks that they peer all their top-tier
> servers and use different vendors *and* different modalities.
>
> Finally, I believe President Bush said that in the time of certain
> emergencies he would order the GPS satellites to broadcast incorrect time
> (which would make GPS unreliable for ... navigation); this possibility is at
> least something to be aware of.

Making GPS unreliable for navigation would be shooting ourselves in the
foot!  Remember that commercial aircraft use GPS for navigation as well
as private aircraft, military aircraft, ships, motor vehicles and lord
knows what else.  I'm inclined to doubt that any country's weapons
systems rely solely on GPS for navigation or targeting.