[ntp:questions] NTP architecture recommendation

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Sun Aug 19 02:15:50 UTC 2007

> Making GPS unreliable for navigation would be shooting ourselves in the
> foot!  Remember that commercial aircraft use GPS for navigation as well
> as private aircraft, military aircraft, ships, motor vehicles and lord
> knows what else.  I'm inclined to doubt that any country's weapons
> systems rely solely on GPS for navigation or targeting.

The only reason GPS in the USA would be degraded would be if we were
invaded, or the signal was jammed by some 3rd party. SA (and higher levels
of degradation) can be turned on for any geographic region, which is usually
only areas of conflict. Since our military has a separate encrypted channel
they always get the most accurate info anywhere.

If your motor vehicle lost GPS, god forbid someone would have to unfold a
map or ask for directions.

AFAIK, no commercial boat / aircraft relies solely on GPS. They have various
backup systems to ensure they can navigate properly in the event of GPS
failure.

As for weapon design, that can vary based on cost. We found a great use for
the large surplus of 'dumb bombs' by slapping a GPS receiver and some fins
on them to make them into cheap yet highly accurate self-guided weapons.
Others like cruise missiles use a combination of GPS & terrain maps to
determine their location.

I do not know if we give our allies separate P keys (I don't think we do),
but if so then sure they could build GPS guided weapons too, but if we (the
US) ever disagreed with their actions then all we have to do is flip the
switch to disable GPS in their area.