[ntp:questions] NTP architecture recommendation

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 09:08:02 UTC 2007

Uwe Klein wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
[]
>> More in orbit, I expect, now dead.
>> What do they do with decommissioned GPS satellites?
>
> afair they get a push into an orbit a bit outside the system "shell".
> 20000km is a bit high for deorbit. low flying sats are sceduled for
> deorbit.

Thanks, Uwe.  I know that geostationary satellites are moved into a
"graveyard" orbit, just outside the normal orbits, about 500km higher and
a slightly longer period.  There isn't enough propellant left to bring
them back to earth for burn-up.  I didn't know what happened to GPS
satellites, though.  Even the weather satellites at about 830km are not
de-orbited.

Cheers,
David