[ntp:questions] ntp.conf

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid
Tue Aug 21 07:14:54 UTC 2007

In article <1187642304.910199.133330 at e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Aggie <c.kevin.lam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's what I want to do. I want to change the clock on my client
> machine will automatically adjust when I change the clock on my server
> machine. And I also want to record the statistics.

You are in the wrong place, then.  ntpd has various defences against
machines that suddenly change their idea of the correct time!  These
include, for large enough changes, terminating itself.  For medium
size changes it will wait a long time to confirm that there really is
nothing that is consistent with what it thinks is the time.

Basically, UTC time does not change arbitrarily.

I'm not aware of any time synchronisation protocol optimised to transfer
steps, like this.