[ntp:questions] Unresolved Symbol

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 21 16:17:55 UTC 2007

Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:46CAE7E2.2090009 at comcast.net...
>
>>>"Aggie" <c.kevin.lam at gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:1187653764.667735.309710 at m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

>>This sounds like one of those cases where the author should really
>>have included the comment /* Check for an empty string */. ...
>

> The code says that already. If you need to take your readers by the hand
> and spoon-feed them the comments because the code itself is a bit chunky
> and hard to swallow... get better readers.

Sometimes, there just aren't any "better readers" available!  Sometimes you
just have to try to get along with what you've got.  In an ideal world,
everyone would be fluent in C, C++, Java, Perl and all the other latest
"gee whiz" languages.  Our world is far from ideal!

If you practice what you preach, your code will probably die with you
because it will be easier to rewrite from scratch than to decode what
you wrote.