[ntp:questions] NTP architecture recommendation

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Wed Aug 22 07:21:31 UTC 2007

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> I don't think that a 14 channel receiver would be useful!  There simply
> are not that many satellites!  The last I knew, there were 27 NavStar
> (GPS) satellites in orbit.  Of these, about seven are usually above the
> horizon at any one time.

Totally wrong:

Here in Norway (60N), I usually have 10+ regular sats visible at all
times, with 12 quite often.

In addition there are two or three possible transmitters of EGNOS (i.e
Euro WAAS) corrections, so having more than 12 channels would have been
good.

In fact, my 76 CSx often have problems with EGNOS because it doesn't
have any free channels which can be dedicated to this.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>