[ntp:questions] ntp.conf

Dennis Hilberg Jr dont at spam.me
Wed Aug 22 18:08:04 UTC 2007

Aggie wrote:
> Thank you very much. I still don't see any file generated.
>
> Here's my ntp.conf:
> driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
>
> server 192.168.1.2 prefer minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
>
> enable stats
> statistics clockstats peerstats loopstats rawstats sysstats
> statsdir "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\"
>
> filegen clockstats file clockstats.txt type day enable
> filegen peerstats file peerstats.txt type day enable
> filegen loopstats file loopstats.txt type day enable
> filegen rawstats file rawstats.txt type day enable
> filegen sysstats file sysstats.txt type day enable
>
> In one of the post, Dennis mentioned to check if ntpd has write access
> to its statsdir. How do I check it? Thanks.
>
> Oh, and how long will it take to generate the files?? Maybe I just
> didn't wait long enough?? Thanks
>
> Kevin

On Windows XP right click on the statsdir (C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\) and
select "Properties".  Under the "General" tab, there are a couple of check
boxes next to "Attributes:", one that says "Read-only" and one that says
"Hidden".  Make sure the "Read-only" one is unchecked.

According to the documentation, sysstats is updated hourly, loopstats is
updated every time the local clock is updated, peerstats is updated I'm
assuming when NTP's peer is polled (documentation is a little vague), and
rawstats is updated when an NTP message is received from a peer or clock
driver.  An hour or two is probably a sufficient time for stats to be
generated.  You won't generate any clockstats though, unless you are using a
clock driver.  That is, if I understand the documentation properly.

--
Dennis Hilberg Jr <timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com>

NTP Server Information: http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php