[ntp:questions] WiFi & NTP.

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Aug 30 13:10:26 UTC 2007

On 2007-08-30, Guy <gdelavil at ens.insa-rennes.fr> wrote:

> Something important I forgot to mention is that my goal is not to have
> the most precise absolute time

Ntpd is intended to synchonize clocks to an arbitrary time base. Using a
stable time base removes one source of offset from the equation. Knowing
the absolute time is a side effect of using UTC as your time base.

> but to have the smallest offset as possible on a local network and
> using a WiFi connection.

You may find it helpful to use 'burst' on the "client" to help
compensate for the variability of WiFi latency.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>