[ntp:questions] WiFi & NTP.

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Aug 30 13:45:14 UTC 2007

"Guy" <gdelavil at ens.insa-rennes.fr> wrote in message
news:1188474891.630591.247300 at k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

> Something important I forgot to mention is that my goal is not to
> have the most precise absolute time but to have the smallest offset
> as possible on a local network and using a WiFi connection.
>
> So I declared one of my devices as an NTP server and the other as a
> client (syncing to a single time source as a matter of fact).

The 'problem' with that is that you are then at the mercy of the
stability of your server. The stability of the crystal that ultimately
drives a local clock reference isn't great, it's quite temperature-
dependent.

On the other hand, it _is_ quite predictable - people have produced
graphs where it is clearly visible when the airconditioning in the
server room started up, or when doors and windows were opened.

The lesson as I read it is to make sure your server has a stable
environment. If the motherboard temperature is constant, so will be
the crystal speed. However, you are surrounded here by some rather
hardcore geeks, who read the lesson differently as requiring that you
have the One True Time, and stability will naturally follow from it.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink