[ntp:questions] To check tim

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Fri Aug 31 06:54:55 UTC 2007

>to synchronize time stamping in pharmaceutical enviromental it is possible
>to connect all production machines via NTP to one Time Server.
>Question is: Is there a procedure developped to validate that all
>connected production machines do have the same time adjusted than the time
>server? This procedure must be initiated centralized e.g. on the Time
>Server and not on the connected production machines to reduce the effort
>for this test.

How closely do they have to track?  Seconds?  Microseconds?

How quickly do you have to know if a machine's clock is too far off?

As Steve Kostecke suggested, the noselect option on
the server config line seems like the key.  You can
do the work on either the master server or on a separate
system.

If you turn on the peerstats logging command ntpd will
write a log file for you.

You may want to adjust maxpoll/minpoll to get enough data
but not too much data.

Or you can call "ntpd -p" from a script.

You can also look at syslog or ntpd's log file.  It will
write a line there when anything "interesting" happens
to the clock, like jumping to correct for an error larger
than 128 ms.