[ntp:questions] searching for doc: "ntp as an indicator ofimpending hardware failures"

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Fri Aug 31 14:09:57 UTC 2007

> I've been searching for a doc I saw previously regarding how high
> jitter/dispersion can indicate impending hardware failures, but in
> my last 2 attempts haven't been able to find it.  I'm also interested
> in docs regarding NTP and power quality.

I think it would just be sheer luck if NTP showed some anomalies before you
had a serious hardware failure. Some pieces of hardware you can sometimes
physically hear before they die (like hard drives), others can have partial
failure (bad chunks of RAM), while others die instantly with no prior
warning.

Can you elaborate on your question about power quality? I've seen unstable
systems due to poor power quality, adding a UPS or other line conditioning
device can usually resolve the issue. I've also seen unstable systems due to
poor quality power supplies (in the PC). Swapping them out with a quality
PSU can work wonders.

Jason