[ntp:questions] WiFi & NTP.

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Aug 31 22:25:07 UTC 2007

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2007-08-30, Guy <gdelavil at ens.insa-rennes.fr> wrote:
>
>> Something important I forgot to mention is that my goal is not to have
>> the most precise absolute time
>
> Ntpd is intended to synchonize clocks to an arbitrary time base. Using a
> stable time base removes one source of offset from the equation. Knowing
> the absolute time is a side effect of using UTC as your time base.

Sorry folks. This is incorrect. There is no absolute time. All time is
relative. UTC itself is an arbitrary definition of a time reference but
it is also a relative time. Various National standards bodies of various
nations have reference standards but there is no guarantee that even
those standards bodies agree on exactly the same numbers for any
instance of time.

Danny