[ntp:questions] Reg: NTP accuracy

linux newbie linux.newbie79 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 16:44:00 UTC 2007

HI,
Need following clarification.

Our Application needs to have two individual hardware (with DSP processor)
to have same crystal clock freqency. Though individual boards are alike, due
to environmental factors there might be drift after long run.

As the two boards are connected to local LAN through ethernet, we feel by
comparing time at regular intervals can determine any drift in clock.
(assuming one board as server and another as client).

We run 'ntpd' in server and ntpdate in the client and after every 5 seconds,
if we query the client (ntpdate -q) we find there is millisecond difference.
As both of them are connected through the same LAN and both are running the
same time( ofcourse same clock freq) we are suppose to get 'zero' time
difference.

Can anyone explain why there is millisecond delay and how to reduce it?