[ntp:questions] Trace ntp sanity checks?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Dec 7 04:58:38 UTC 2007

On 2007-12-07, Hal Murray wrote:

>ATTRIBUTION DELETED wrote:
>
>>Too many packaging of ntpd configure a local clock driver in their
>>sample configuration.
>
> Does anybody know why that got started?

The sample configuration files attempt to include as many configuration
options as possible. Unfortunately there is often insufficient, or just
plain misleading, explanation of what these options should be used for.

> What urban legend do we have to stomp out before that practice will go
> away?

The problem is that the distribution does not contain good sample
configuration files. There should be sample configurations for:

Pool client
Leaf node
	unicast
	broadcast