[ntp:questions] Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 9 14:19:36 UTC 2007

David J Taylor wrote:
> Danny Mayer wrote:
> []
>
>>No, you extract the openssl files to a directory at the same level as
>>ntp. Then you read the INSTALL.W32 file for instructions on how to
>>build openssl. I don't build with the assembler code.
>

> Danny, thanks for your "encouragement" - I did do all this, of course, but
> I will pursue this further.
<snip>

> That error, perhaps, but there are dozens of warnings when  you compile,
> making it impossible to judge what success you have had.  I come from a
> background where we expect software to compile with a "zero errors, zero
> warnings" result.

That can be extremely difficult to achieve over multiple platforms and
compilers.
It is made more difficult because various compiler accept different
deviations from the standard.  I believe that gcc is notorious for that
and there may well be others.

In the days when I was porting Unixish C code to OpenVMS, I used the
compiler options that demanded "maximum rectitude" for compliance with
the then ANSI standard. (I believe the standard changed several times
since I last did this.)  This found a couple of actual bugs and quite a
bit of what I considered "sleazy coding" which I did my best to clean
up.  I added zillions of missing function declarations, corrected
function declarations that falsely claimed that a function returned
something that it did not or vice versa. . . .