[ntp:questions] Dual-core systems - AMD - Windows Vista

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 10 15:09:05 UTC 2007

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>
>>David J Taylor wrote:
>>
>>>Danny Mayer wrote:
>>>[]

>>>Danny, thanks for your "encouragement" - I did do all this, of course, but
>>>I will pursue this further.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>That error, perhaps, but there are dozens of warnings when  you compile,
>>>making it impossible to judge what success you have had.  I come from a
>>>background where we expect software to compile with a "zero errors, zero
>>>warnings" result.
>>
>>That can be extremely difficult to achieve over multiple platforms and
>>compilers.
>>It is made more difficult because various compiler accept different
>>deviations from the standard.  I believe that gcc is notorious for that
>>and there may well be others.
>>
>>In the days when I was porting Unixish C code to OpenVMS, I used the
>>compiler options that demanded "maximum rectitude" for compliance with
>>the then ANSI standard. (I believe the standard changed several times
>>since I last did this.)  This found a couple of actual bugs and quite a
>>bit of what I considered "sleazy coding" which I did my best to clean
>>up.  I added zillions of missing function declarations, corrected
>>function declarations that falsely claimed that a function returned
>>something that it did not or vice versa. . . .
>

> It depended whether you used VAXC or DECC. VAXC was quite sleazy.

This was in the days when ANSI C was fairly new and VAXC was current.
VAX C was basically K&R C.  K&R allowed things that I believed no wise
programmer should do!  Most of them "worked" but offended my sense of
"programming aesthetics".  I used DECC and made a lot of trivial fixes
to make it stop complaining.  The original code might have worked
"forever" without changes but I didn't feel comfortable with it so I
"fixed" it "my way"!  I still have a copy of the "make" that Tony Ivanov
posted to comp.os.vms/info-vax ca. 1990.  I think I improved it a little
and I know I found and fixed one buffer overrun.  Mine compiles without
errors or warnings while the original had hundreds of warnings.  Mine
works too.