[ntp:questions] Dimensioning NTP Server

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Dec 13 20:40:42 UTC 2007

"Aggarwal Vivek-Q4997C" <Q4997C at motorola.com> wrote in message
news:750BBC72E178114F9DC4872EBFF29A5B05217A23 at ZMY16EXM66.ds.mot.com...

> Iam planning to have NTP Server for something around 50,000 Clients in
> the Network
>
> Can Anyone guide me in dimensioning the NTP Server. What are the
> guidelines that I should take care for dimensioning the NTP Server

"Do not start up all clients at once."

Under normal conditions, clients will quickly back off to one packet
per 1024 seconds. I could scrounge up an old 386SX-16 motherboard
for you, but even that isn't going to be fazed by 50 packets per
second, I'm afraid.

> Also can I two NTP Servers running in active-stand by or in Load
> balancing scenario in the same network

Load balancing... yes, I think so. I can't think of anything that
would go wrong. But the usual way to provide high NTP availability
is to simply have all clients query all of four servers all the time.
Because it's not only a question of the number of servers likely to
be up. The real question is 'what time is it?' when there are four
answers, or three, or two, all just a little different.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink