[ntp:questions] Basic Question - how to verify whether a new NTP server is ready to serve time?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Sat Feb 3 23:08:17 UTC 2007

On 2007-02-03, Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> wrote:

> I am no priest, thus i can't spread misinformation, only what i remember
> of that item.
>
> the LSB 1.2 mentions xntp, i could not find the LSB files that enumerate
> required packages.

The current LSB version is 3.2

> at the time of release of SuSE 7.? ( can't remember ) this was explicitly
> stated by the release team in the accompanying README.
> I would have to do real archeology to unearth my media of that time.

SuSE xntp Changelog:

* Wed Jul 13 2005 - hvogel at suse.de
  - rename most config files, init scripts and the like FROM XNTPD TO
    NTP to be in sync with other vendors/LSB

http://www.novell.com/documentation/sled10/readme/RELEASE-NOTES.en.html#b554yf9

6.9 NTP-Related Files Renamed

For reasons of compatibility with LSB (Linux Standard Base), most
configuration files and the init script were renamed from xntp to ntp.
The new filenames are:

* /etc/slp.reg.d/ntp.reg
* /etc/init.d/ntp
* /etc/logrotate.d/ntp