[ntp:questions] Basic Question - how to verify whether a new NTP server is ready to serve time?

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Sun Feb 4 19:31:59 UTC 2007

Folkert van Heusden wrote:
>>>This happened by way of LSB (http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB)
>>>Linux Standard Base requirements which mandated a package of name
>>>"*xntp*" is installed in contrast to older software by name of
>>>"*ntp*".
>>>To be LSB compliant SuSE and others renamed the _current_ ntpd
>>>package, associated scripts and stuff "*xntp*".
>>>example:
>>>SuSE 9.1 xntp-4.2.0a-23
>>>SuSE 9.3 xntp-4.2.0a-35
>>>SuSE 10.0 xntp-4.2.0a-46
>>>SuSE 10.1 xntp-4.2.0a-68
>>>SuSE 10.2 xntp-4.2.2p4-6
>>>actually these are all versions of the current ntp-4* package.
>>
>>I /knew/ there had to be a valid reason for hating Linux!
>

> Not all linuxes do it like that. Debian (also a large player) and Redhat
> enterprise linux just call it ntp (ntp-server).
>

> Folkert van Heusden

from redhat 7 onwards as far as i could find out.

(x)ntpd in various versions has been included in
Linux Distributions for at least a dozend years.
( SuSE November 95, slack 3.0 based , kernel 1.2.13 had
	./sunsite/kernel/net-source/tools/xntp3.4x.tar.gz
included , OK i am a SuSE fanboy )
SuSE 7.1 from ~2000 had  ntp-4.0.99f included. Thats 7 years ago!

The complete bruhaha seemes to be based in the less than
brilliant name changes ntp .. xntp ..ntp (why not yntp or v4ntp)
an unfortunate choice in initial Linux LSB nameing scheme
at a time where ntp was called xntp
AND
the missunderstanding ( not completely without reason ) that
something called *xntpd" must be an ancient version.

Now I suppose all Linux Distributions tend to be less conservative
in version choice than forex the bsds and ship with a recent version
of ntp whatever its name may be.

Now to come to my conclusion:
I think it unfortunate to lambast linux based ntp users over and
over again with ${list of reasons why linux is a piece of shit}
The poster does not really feel any better afterwards and
the recipient never will understand why he has been beat up.

better:
ask what version he uses.
( but ups: the binaries have no easy way of divulging their version)

notice:
ntp userbase must have changed heavily with a shift away from
professional sysadmins over to occassional/parttime sysadmins
and general users. All the Kings Horses, all the Kings Men .. ;-)

uwe