[ntp:questions] ntp behaviour at startup

mills at udel.edu mills at udel.edu
Mon Feb 5 17:11:13 UTC 2007

marknmbox-88 at yahoo.com,

The good thing about faqs is they are quick and dirty; the bad thing is
they are sometimes wrong. Starting ntpd for the first time and without a
frequency file, ntpd computes the frequency directly and sets it within
1 PPM in fifteen minutes. Indeed, there will be small wiggles of a
milliscond or two as the daemon shaves off the residuals in a couple of
hours, but it isn't clear if you consider the residuals as errors.